Monday, December 12, 2011

Story - Drink from the Great White Mug

This is a good story for younger children. To prepare for it, you will need a cup, or a "great white mug."  Fill 1/3 of it with water.

Once upon a time in a far away land, an old king lay on his bed waiting to die.  He called in his eldest son and said, "Son, you will soon rule this land, so you must know the three secrets of my success.  first, you must rule the land with a firm hand.  Second, you must rule with a warm hear.  And most important of all, you must always drink from the great white mug from this side only."  (Take a sip from the cup).

Soon after the king died and thye young prince began his rule, always remembering the three secrets.  Years passed until he became an old, old man.  He likewise called in his eldest son and said, "Son, you will soon rule this land, so you must know the three secrets of my success.  first, you must rule the land with a firm hand.  Second, you must rule with a warm hear.  And most important of all, you must always drink from the great white mug from this side only."  (Take a sip from the cup).


This young prince likewise reigned with much success; and later, nearing death, he called in his eldest to say, "Son, you will soon rule this land, so you must know the three secrets of my success.  first, you must rule the land with a firm hand.  Second, you must rule with a warm hear.  And most important of all, you must always drink from the great white mug from this side only."  (Take a sip from the cup).


This young prince, however, was different from most in his day.  He was filled with curiosity.  .  He ached to seek out and explore new worlds.  He begged for challenges.  So he said to his father, "Father, I understand why I should rule with a firm hand.  I also understand why I must rule with a warm heart.  But Father, please, please tell me, why must I always drink from this side of the great white mug?"

Son, I have fought many battles.  I have conqured many lands.  I am now old.  My life has passed.    Therefore, I will show you what happens when you do not drink from the great white mug from this side only."

(Slowly raise up the mug to your lips, place the lips on the top sid, thuse psilling the water on your chest.

Source:  Told by Barbara Freeman at the 1977 NAPPS Festival.


No comments:

Post a Comment